Summary of Position:
The Accounts Payable Specialist serves as a key member of the accounting team. He/she is responsible for all facets of accounts payable under the supervision of the Division Controller. She/he plays an essential role in ensuring that all accounting tasks are completed accurately and by established deadlines. Team work and coordination are essential.
- Receiving, entering, and tracking vendor invoices.
- Timely payment of vendors
- Daily check requests
- Assist Accounting Manager with employee expense checks
- Ensure credit and debit card transactions are submitted and recorded on a timely basis
- Record the cash transactions from the Human Resources Department
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers.
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software.
- Receive, record, and bank cash, checks, and vouchers.
- Code documents according to company procedures.
- Reconcile or note and report discrepancies found in records.
- Access computerized financial information to answer general questions as well as those related to specific accounts.
- Calculate and prepare checks for utilities, taxes, and other payments.
- Assist Controller with cash management by ensuring proper invoice aging
- Vendor interactions
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform general office duties, such as filing, and handling routine correspondence.
- Provide support for the office.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Experience: 5-10 years of accounts payable, preferably with an engineering, architecture and/or construction firm
- Education: High school diploma required, additional education a plus
- Travel: None
- Physical: Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Software: Experience with engineering/architecture industry specific accounting software preferred; experience with Deltek Software a big plus; intermediate to advanced MS Excel and MS Word
- Other: Excellent verbal and written communication skills.